Accidents keep happening all around us, what steps you are taking to prevent losing a tooth is what makes the difference. For dental emergencies, it is advised to visit the dentist at the first place, however if it’s during an odd hour, then you need to figure out the best possible way to get yourself or your loved one treated.
Usually during the after hours, dentists reserve some time for emergency cases in their daily schedules, the first thing you can do is to call the dentist and provide as much details as you can about the complication. The dentist will guide you with certain precautionary measures and to do things like making use of icepack and taking effective painkillers.
Things to Do To Battle a Knocked Out Tooth
First basic step to battle a knocked out tooth is to keep it moist at all times, try to fix the tooth back to its socket and visit a doctor or else place it in milk. By doing so, your dentist would be able to fix it back in its place as it was and you might save money to get a replacement.
If it’s a baby tooth, finding it and heading towards the dentist would be a wise thing to do. The dentist will examine the chipped tooth and let you know if it’s the entire tooth or just a small part that has come out. If it’s the entire tooth then the dentist might look forward to implant it again.
An untreated dental situation might lead to many infections as the wound is most likely to become a breeding ground of bacteria. It causes, teeth sensitivity, regular bleeding of gums, bad breath or swelling. So to avoid the throbbing pain caused by a tooth injury, make sure to note down the contact details of the nearest after hour dentist.
If you thought cost was the only thing that made people delay seeing a dentist, think again. There are many who try out home remedies, only to (unknowingly) make the matters worse for there are situations that actually call for an emergency treatment.
1) Whether you just met with an accident or fell down the stairs, whatever may be the reason, if you have a knocked out tooth, you must seek 24 hour dental services right away. A delay can hamper the prospects of successful replanting. If you wish to clean the tooth with milk or water, you can, but make sure you still go and see the dentist within 30 minutes.
2) When an object gets wedged between your teeth, it’s better if you visit the nearest emergency dentist, even if it’s late at night. That’s because if you try doing anything on your own, say, use dental floss to remove the object, things may get out of hand. In this case for example, you may end up cutting your gums.
3) If you wear braces or retainers, either of these could be an alarming situation for you:
- A wire may get stuck in the cheek, tongue or gum tissue for that matter
- The appliance may get broken
You may have been told that soft wax or cotton balls can come in handy, but the truth is that they work for the time being and that too only when there is a mild irritation, probably caused by the wire. A broken appliance or an embedded wire – definitely not something that you should try and fix at home; find a 24-hour dentist in Sydney ASAP.
When a dental problem occurs, your first instinct is to look at the time. If it’s late at night, you may try to relieve pain on your own, either by rinsing the mouth with warm water or taking some random medication. That’s because you have nowhere to go. But what if it’s an emergency? For instance, if you have a knocked out tooth, can you sleep on it? Can rinsing help here? Not really. You need to go and see a dentist as soon as possible so that the tooth can be successfully replanted. In an emergency like this, you cannot wait until the morning and must be treated immediately. You need to look for 24 hour dentists because they are the only ones who can help you at night.
Or can they? Moreover,
1) Are they qualified to offer any help whatsoever?
2) If they take ages to make the necessary arrangements, can they still be of some help?
3) What all dental problems can they treat in the wee hours?
These are perhaps some of the most important questions to ask while looking for a 24 hour dentist in Sydney or wherever you are.
Answers to Expect
As far as the qualification is concerned, never take no for an answer. Count on them only if they are well-qualified and hold the necessary certifications. Also make sure that after you call and tell them about your dental emergency, they get down to business right then and possibly have everything ready before you arrive at the clinic. And of course, day or night, they should be able to treat most of the common dental problems, including pain and infection.