Just as the skin covers and protects everything inside your body from infectious organisms and harmful foreign substances, our teeth have a tough, protective coating too. Not only the hard covering protects your teeth but it also shields the sensitive dentine underneath.
Unfortunately, many of us fail to take good care of our tooth enamel, making prone to enamel erosion and cavities. Consumption of acidic drinks and foods like wine, coffee, and citrus fruits on a regular basis and vomiting and reflux that cause stomach acids to enter your mouth, can be blamed to erode away the tooth enamel.
One may not be able to perceive the effects of acid erosion, but in the long-term, enamel erosion may significantly affect your dental health and hygiene. Don’t let this happen to you or close ones.
Mentioned below are some handy, everyday tips that can help you prevent enamel erosion and promote good oral health.
- Reduce the consumption of acidic foods and drinks. If necessary, have your soft drinks, soda and other acidic foods during meals.
- On a diet? No matter your fitness goals, don’t give up on nutritious food. Ensure a well-balanced diet even if you’re struggling with weight loss or gain issues.
- Have acidic drinks in one go without swishing, swirling or holding it in your mouth. Additionally, use a straw when having acidic drinks in order to avoid long contact with the teeth.
- Do not rush to brush immediately after drinking or eating acidic foods. This gives your teeth time to replenish minerals after the acid softens the enamel surface.
- Try chewing sugar-free gums after having your meals. This helps produce more saliva in your mouth, which in turn neutralises acidity and restores the natural balance.
In addition, consuming natural alternative like cheese, milk and water, using a soft bristle brush with fluoride toothpaste are some other helpful ways to keep erosion in control.
Dental erosion doesn’t always need to be treated medically. With a few effective prevention steps and expert dental advice at your fingertips, one can prevent erosion effects from developing and your oral health from deteriorating. Furthermore, be in touch with a certified 24 hour dentist to help in case of dental emergencies as well as with regular dental check-ups.
Have you been involved in an accident that knocked out a tooth or a crown from your jaw? Have you ever bitten your own lip or longue so badly that you went into tears? Have you ever suffered whole night because of toothache? Well, if the answer is yes for any of these questions, then you may need prompt attention by local after hour dentist.
When avoided, the condition may result in a tooth decay, dental abscess or even worse. Dental problems might cause a lot a discomfort even after maintaining an overall health, usually these complications can be anything from sore lips to halitosis. There are situations when the person doesn’t feel pain but experience certain usual changes like discolouration of teeth, foul smell from mouth, bleeding of gums while brushing teeth, these are signs of tooth sensitivity and side-effects of not maintaining oral hygiene. In most of the cases it is because the bacteria living inside the mouth survive off the sugar and starch and gradually spread to the neighbouring tooth, thereby causing infections. Understand the signs and symptoms and visit the dentist on regular basis, in worst case scenarios seek 24 hour dental care.
A chipped tooth due to trauma is however a different situation which is most likely to worsen up if not being treated. Losing a tooth might get agonising if not being attended by an emergency dentist, this might take a heavy toll on your pocket if not getting the required attention. Remember to store the broken tooth in milk before going to the dentist and in the case of cracked or hanging tooth, make use of icepack and painkillers.
If ever faced such situations, remember to call an after-hour dentist to address the issue. Of course, a smile is the most beautiful thing you have, you would never want to compromise with that.
KEEP SMILING 🙂
When you are least expecting a dental emergency, accidents might take place. These uncertain events may occur at any time of the day, and in most of the cases the pain is intolerable. Moreover, the case of a broken tooth with sharp edge leads to additional discomfort. In such a scenario, consulting a 24 hour dentist is must to make decision.
Situations When You Need a 24 Hour Dental Care:
Waking up in the middle of the night screaming and panicking? Relax! It’s not the end of the world. The reasons behind such dental condition are abased teeth, prolonged infection, accidental injury, broken braces/denture or anything.
Don’t rush towards your phone at the first instance, instead take 2 X Ibuprofen and after few hours take 2 X Paracetamol, if it still pains then contact the emergency dentist ASAP. Do remember to keep a phone number handy in case there is no internet connection to look for the emergency dental services.
If your tooth has been knocked out, just rinse the tooth in milk holing it from the crown and if possible fix the tooth back in socket, but remember to visit the dentist soon after that, because as soon as the tooth is re-implanted it is more likely to stay embedded into the gum.
In case of broken teeth visit the dentist as quickly as possible and apply cold pack to the cheeks and lips. For those (especially kids) who accidentally bite their lips, tongue should rinse their mouth properly and take pain relief. It is advised to stick to juices, soups, pasta and drinking room temperature beverages.
For the worst case scenario call the 24 hour dentist in Sydney who is usually operating during the extended hours. The help you need for such horribly unpleasant irregularities is just a phone call away.
If you thought cost was the only thing that made people delay seeing a dentist, think again. There are many who try out home remedies, only to (unknowingly) make the matters worse for there are situations that actually call for an emergency treatment.
1) Whether you just met with an accident or fell down the stairs, whatever may be the reason, if you have a knocked out tooth, you must seek 24 hour dental services right away. A delay can hamper the prospects of successful replanting. If you wish to clean the tooth with milk or water, you can, but make sure you still go and see the dentist within 30 minutes.
2) When an object gets wedged between your teeth, it’s better if you visit the nearest emergency dentist, even if it’s late at night. That’s because if you try doing anything on your own, say, use dental floss to remove the object, things may get out of hand. In this case for example, you may end up cutting your gums.
3) If you wear braces or retainers, either of these could be an alarming situation for you:
- A wire may get stuck in the cheek, tongue or gum tissue for that matter
- The appliance may get broken
You may have been told that soft wax or cotton balls can come in handy, but the truth is that they work for the time being and that too only when there is a mild irritation, probably caused by the wire. A broken appliance or an embedded wire – definitely not something that you should try and fix at home; find a 24-hour dentist in Sydney ASAP.